Can I do THIS with PHPWCMS???

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
srg_rector

Can I do THIS with PHPWCMS???

Post by srg_rector »

I have a bookstore website that has product links to amazon.com.

In the past, I have revised the website using MS Excel and MS Word to enter the link and product data and output HTML using mail merge. I then cut and pasted the code into my webpages.
This was a slow and tedious way of doing things.

I have access to a few different Content Management Systems through my web hosting provider. phpwcms 1.4.5 is one I have looked at, but I cannot figure out if I can do what I need with it...

It needs to take info from a spreadsheet or database and output html code (full web pages that will include the template of a basic page and specific website page info - and various groupings of book data).

===== What I need to be able to do =======
The database will have many different columns of data. Possibly multiple databases... one for book data, one for website data. Some for book info and some for sortable categories to determine which books go in which page or section and some for file name etc.
Each book will have categories such as:
Series book #
Language
Format Type (hardcover, paperback, audio, etc.)
Copyright Year
ISBN/ISSN #
Amazon link URL - text ad
Amazon link URL - graphic ad
Purchase Price
Shipping Discount
Sale Price

I will have pages that list various combinations of data:
English versions of book 1 in order of format
All English versions of the books in order of series # then format
All Series #1 books in order of Language and then format
All Hardcover books in order of Series # then Language
All Hardcover books in order of Language then Series #
============

My goal is to end up with a system that will take a database of info (book, webpage, and html template code) and output the full site .htm files whenever I wish to update the database. Each page will be output with a proper title, metadata as well as the exact folder/filename I specify. If I have to set each page up individually, that's fine; but I want to be able to update the all the data on all the pages without having to redo the setup work.

I have access to the phpwcms 1.4.5 http://www.phpwcms.de/index.php

Will this program do All of this?
Will this program do Part of what I need?
Thanks for your time!!
flip-flop

Re: Can I do THIS with PHPWCMS???

Post by flip-flop »

Default it isn´t possible to do so with phpwcms. I think you need an very special frontend.
You can use phpwcms like a frame work and programming the required routines in a module by yourself.

Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
pSouper

Re: Can I do THIS with PHPWCMS???

Post by pSouper »

As far as I understand your issue....
Firstly... you need to upload a file (csv .xls .txt etc) then have phpWCMS display this data.
Secondly... you would like phpWCMS to export each of the pages as flat file pages (.htm) ?

The first would be a quite a simple process to develop as phpWCMS has a mechanism in place (frontend rendering) that allows you to include the output of any scripts you write as part of the content as if it were native.

You may need to get deeper and more 'integrated' - then you simply write your script as a new 'content part' - this would do the same job but have a fancy integrated admin to it.

the second point - if I understood you correctly seems a little strange... why save a site as flat files when it works fine as it is?
It may be that you sell each site inc book listing to a client 'as is' and would not want them to have the benefit of being able to reproduce the site with updated lists as they wish - simply delete your csv/xls file converter once the list have been made and leave then the phpwcMS site. Alternatively you could use a site ripper to crawl the site ripping each page for you.

of course, I have mentioned the word 'simple' a few times assuming you are able to write the php (& html) required. If you are not then I would be happy to quote you for this task - as would a number of others if you post a request to do so.

hope it helps,
pSouper