Copyright notice on login.php

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Soletread

Copyright notice on login.php

Post by Soletread »

PHPWCMS is an awesome package.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to use it in a non personal environment.

Your copyright notice on the login.php page is distracting to my clients and it makes them nervous. And I don't feel it is necessary here. After all it is on the admin default page AS WELL.

Although I always explain the open-source concept to them, and make sure they understand they are paying for MY time only, they still remain nervous. And I can understand fully. They are not programmers, and have no concept of open-source and have no wish to see legal threats for something that does not concern them.

Also, the wording is only really appropriate to the developer and not the website owner. In fact, it makes no sense to the website owner at all as there is no way he has access to the script and has no wish to go out and sell it or abuse it in anyway.

I feel that your copyright statements are geared for instances where the developer and website owner are the same person or company.

Can't you move it to the install "I Agree to the terms" page?

Currently it's over-kill in my opinion
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

You can remove it from default.html (it's a bit overkill) because there is a copyright info at the bottom in the backend. But copyright info has to stay on login.php

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
duergner

Post by duergner »

I do fully agree with Oliver here, as I don't get the point why you won't have it there.

You are telling us that your customer is never accessing the admin area when I got your statement right, so in my opinion I looks like as if you want to remove the last copyright statement that is available from outside the admin panel.
Soletread

Post by Soletread »

My customer the website owner needs to log in to the admin area to take care of his own content. (Once the job is signed off). And gets to see this every time he wants to log in:
phpwcms Copyright © 2003-2004 Oliver Georgi. Extensions are copyright of their respective owners. Visit http://www.phpwcms.de for details. Obstructing the appearance of this notice is prohibited by law.

phpwcms is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

phpwcms is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
There is nothing here that is applicable to him / her. It's not relevant to him. Its relevant to me as developer. And it just gives him / her negative connotations.

Thanks for your replies though.

duergner: It looks like you misunderstood my orignal post. I hope I have made more sense now. And what I meant by the default admin page, I meant the first page that he sees after he has logged in. (Not refferring to a file name here). BTW, he will see the exact copyright statement AGAIN, right after logging in.

Oliver: Thanks for the script man. !!! Also, ja about the default.html. Cool, but it gets deleted anyway.

Nice work though, absolutely. But unfortunately I cant use it. Pity :( And I am sure there are others who feel the same. Its a shame, as it does leave quite a large professional user base looking elsewhere.

Cheers
Karla

Re: Copyright notice on login.php

Post by Karla »

Soletread wrote:...is distracting to my clients and it makes them nervous.

...they still remain nervous.

...it just gives him / her negative connotations.

And I can understand fully. They are not programmers, and have no concept of open-source and have no wish to see legal threats for something that does not concern them.
Sweetie, your arguments don't sound very compelling for eliminating the copyright notice. This is the only portion with which there could be any nervousness:
Obstructing the appearance of this notice is prohibited by law.
And since they are not programmers, have no concept of open source, spend less than 30 seconds on that page and ignore the message after being introduced to it the first time... they won't be removing the notice and feeling any fear. Only a developer would...(*WINK*)
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

it's your decision. but fair that you say you can't use it. I don't understand you or your customers - but that isn't my problem. have fun while searching for a copyright free system.

Oliver
Soletread

Post by Soletread »

Just one last note:

I am not looking for a copyright free system at all. I am totally in agreement that the copyright statements are necessary or else someone will take your hard work and sell it and make a fortune.

I use phpbb and coppermine, and have no problem with copyright statements on those at all.

FYI, the only other CMS system I can find now that has a similar statement on the login page is ETOMITE. Theirs is worse though. why not something simple like "© PHPWCMS" and then after logging in, leave the other where it is.

The others CMS's are quite useable in this regard, but not as good as your system though. That is why I am asking for your understanding.

I am also quite surprised by your tone. I am making a valid observation here, something you should really consider. Its our culture, to be paranoid. It's really not difficult to understand. Just deal with large corporate clients and then you will see what I mean.

Cheers

Karla: Kiss kiss babe
after being introduced to it the first time...
This is my point. Is one time not enough. In the installation procedure. Like all other software. And I am not asking to ELIMINATE the copyright notice, (where did I say that) just asking you consider moving it / minimizing it / less obstrusive etc.
... they won't be removing the notice and feeling any fear. Only a developer would...
Exactly my point, it's only applicable to developers, not end users.

C'mon guys, if you weren't so defensive about this, you would see some sense in what I am saying.
duergner

Post by duergner »

No I don't agree with your last statement. And to make the long discussion short: It's Olivers decision to not remove and/or change it and as it's Olivers software, there is no more sense about it. And have absolutely the same opinion about the subject that Oliver has.

The only difference I can see between how it is now and how it would be with your suggestion is, that the visitors of the website will never see anything mor than the short (c) Oliver Georgi instead of the long version on the login.php site. 'Cause when you suggest moving the statement that is now on login.php to the first site in the admin panel, I can't see the difference for your customer at all beside what I mentioned above.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I think about ;-) - contact me by email.

Oliver
Soletread

Post by Soletread »

It's Olivers decision to not remove and/or change it and as it's Olivers software, there is no more sense about it
YES!. I agree, that is why I am asking here.

Ok let's end this topic.

Thanks again Oliver. Swell product. I will probably use it with smaller clients. (I can't resist :) ). Having such an active forum with prompt replies is fantastic.

Cheers
spirelli

Post by spirelli »

Soletread wrote: consider moving it / minimizing it / less obstrusive etc.
Well, I must say i do agree with it. I have not much of a problem with the text itself, but I am concerned how it looks like. I din't see that much of an issue in that clients might have a problem with it. But I wish that we could offer them a much cleaner login area. Well, I have tried dealing with that issue by adapting the colours to fit the rest of the colours on the page
(http://www.****.net/login.php) But I still would welcome a shorter notice throughout. Could there not be a shortened one or two line copyright notice with a link saying "full license details" or "full copyright details" leading o a seperate page or pop-up window? You (Oliver) then could elaborate on that page as much as you like, even use advertise your programming service or whatever else you find useful.
I have taken out the notice from the backend default (after people log in) because I just found it too much visually. But I propably would be happy to keep the copyright notice there as well if it was short.
webwesen

Post by webwesen »

agree totally
jsavage

Post by jsavage »

I don't have a problem with the content of the notice but I think I do agree that it is a little over intrusive.

Interestingly, the cleanest design I have seen is right under your nose :)

http://www.phpwcms.de/login.php

Although Oliver is rightfully king in this domain, I do think that in a collaborative environment like it is important to listen to consumers who are providing feedback on the product and the more active contributers.

James
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

jsavage wrote:I don't have a problem with the content of the notice but I think I do agree that it is a little over intrusive.

Interestingly, the cleanest design I have seen is right under your nose :)

http://www.phpwcms.de/login.php

Although Oliver is rightfully king in this domain, I do think that in a collaborative environment like it is important to listen to consumers who are providing feedback on the product and the more active contributers.

James
hello

but if you have look rigth you will see oliver use an very old version!

V1.1 RC1
brans

Post by brans »

I think that the copyright notice are built in since RC 4 so thats why you don't see any notice on that page...