problem before installation :)

Please post all install related problems here. Visit this forum first for troubleshooting.
cilohaidem

problem before installation :)

Post by cilohaidem »

hi out there,
i just reading install-tut and checked my hoster and he don't provide
ImageMagick and GhostScript. So does it make sense to have a go or should i leave it as holpless venture.
and anyway i m a php programmer, and i have never heard(ok that doesnt mean nothing :) ) for GhostScript php extension. i searched google for GhostScript + php and haven't found nothing usefull?
is that extension at all or needs just tu be installed on the system?

how is the install-process and where to get it? i would like tu try it at least localy?

and by the way i thing this crucial-point should be explaind mor e deeply so the people can have at least a go.

exuceme if i ask to much
DeXXus

Re: problem before installation :)

Post by DeXXus »

cilohaidem wrote:hi out there,
i just reading install-tut and checked my hoster and he don't provide
ImageMagick and GhostScript. So does it make sense to have a go or should i leave it as holpless venture.
and anyway i m a php programmer, and i have never heard(ok that doesnt mean nothing :) ) for GhostScript php extension. i searched google for GhostScript + php and haven't found nothing usefull?
is that extension at all or needs just tu be installed on the system?

how is the install-process and where to get it? i would like tu try it at least localy?

and by the way i thing this crucial-point should be explaind mor e deeply so the people can have at least a go.

exuceme if i ask to much
Neither are -REQUIRED- They are "enhancements" that provide improved functionality. You can get by with GD only, for image converting. (GD1 is "weak", GD2 preferred). The phpWCMS does not use GhostScript itself, instead Imagemagick provides additional enhancement of "using" Ghostscript . If no GhostScript / ImageMagick then phpWCMS does not support some picture formats, because then ImageMagick is not able to "convert" PS, PDF, EPS, AI files and so on.

My webhost did not have Imagemagick support, but I had enough webspace to install it into my account. You might investigate that option if it becomes "necessary". I hope this is clear? :roll:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I have no experience of either ImageMajik or GhostScript and so use GD2 witch I am very happy with. I understand that there is a lot more to GD2 than currently used by phpwcms and would like ot see new image manipulation posibilities develope.
maybe an Overlay function for text or another image so that the copyrighting/time/title stamping of uploaded images could be posible.
cilohaidem

Post by cilohaidem »

ok tnx dude's that helped a lot,

but is there anywere a specification what exatly Imagemagick can do more then gd2, i installed it with gd2-suport only and,at least by now im happy with it, but it would be intressting to know. :lol:

and question on DeXXus
i have a typical shared-hosting with php,mysql,.htaccess suport, and my hoster dont provide per default the Imagemagick support.
How do i install it, i have 100MB space , that must be enough.
How to proceede?
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

all you need for imagemagik is here
http://imagemagick.org
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

cilohaidem wrote:ok tnx dude's that helped a lot,

but is there anywere a specification what exatly Imagemagick can do more then gd2, i installed it with gd2-suport only and,at least by now im happy with it, but it would be intressting to know. :lol:

and question on DeXXus
i have a typical shared-hosting with php,mysql,.htaccess suport, and my hoster dont provide per default the Imagemagick support.
How do i install it, i have 100MB space , that must be enough.
How to proceede?
Unfortunately, you likely would need EVEN MORE than that! The space to install including temp files and the process, consumes much more than you think it would (afterwards the binaries can be stripped and temp files removed to take up less space). Also, you need shell access. You might be "well-served" to inquire of your hoster, if they can do this FOR you :wink:

I will outline what I was able to do, but provide no guarantee of your succcess. My host uses Linux and provides shell access:

1. I used "Putty", a Windows client software to connect to my webspace via SSH. This puts me into my root directory.

2. Then, to transfer Imagemagick distribution to my account, I typed:

Code: Select all

wget ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-5.5.7-16.tar.gz
3. Followed by:

tar zxvf ImageMagick-5.5.7-16.tar.gz
4. Then changed to the directory where Imagemagick was extracted:

cd ImageMagick-5.5.7
5. Issued configure command for Imagemagick to be built by Linux:

./configure --prefix=/full/path/to/my/root/directory --without-perl --without-magick-plus-plus
6. Told Linux to build Imagemagick support into my server support:

make install
7. Checked for basic functionality:

make check
8. Strip binaries to recover about 100MB from used space:

make clean
9. Reclaiming space...
a. Delete the .tar.gz file for ImageMagick that you downloaded.

b. Delete the ImageMagick directory that you created. The ImageMagick files that you need to keep will be safely stored in another location. The command to delete the directory is "rm -rf ImageMagick-5.5.7*".

c. Strip the files. From your home directory, run "find . -type f | xargs strip 2>&-".

d. That put me at about 20mb total for ImageMagick, most in the bin directory. You could save maybe about 10mb more by building this with shared libraries.

By the way, be careful with that rm command. If you place a space in front of the splat (*), you will wipe out your entire directory. Not a good thing, and not my fault.

10. Path to Imagemagick"s "convert" becomes:
/full/path/to/my/root/directory/bin/convert
Last edited by DeXXus on Tue 9. Mar 2004, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
cilohaidem

Post by cilohaidem »

huh :shock:

i'll see what i can do. :lol:

anyway tnx so much for u're precisely and detailed explanation.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

cilohaidem wrote:huh :shock:

i'll see what i can do. :lol:

anyway tnx so much for u're precisely and detailed explanation.
I found these references to installing Imagemagick (One for Unix/Linux and one.. for when you don't have root access on server). May be a little dated, but may be a "partial" help if used with the latest version of Imagemagick - once again w/ disclaimer of no liability for anything that might happen :roll:

http://www.reviewpost.com/magicknoroot-php.html
http://www.imagemagick.org/www/Install-unix.html