Email sending error

Use GitHub to post bug reports and error descriptions for phpwcms. Describe your problem detailed!
nkosztad73

Email sending error

Post by nkosztad73 »

So I made a new Email/contact from and when I want to try it gives me that error message: Language string failed to load: connect_host

What does it mean?
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

That error means that phpWCMS could not connect to your SMTP host using the settings you placed in your "conf.inc.php":

Code: Select all

// smtp values
$phpwcms['SMTP_FROM_EMAIL']   = 'info@localhost';
$phpwcms['SMTP_FROM_NAME']    = 'My Name';
$phpwcms['SMTP_HOST']         = 'localhost';
$phpwcms['SMTP_PORT']         = 25;
$phpwcms['SMTP_MAILER']       = 'mail';
$phpwcms['SMTP_AUTH']         = 0;
$phpwcms['SMTP_USER']         = 'user';
$phpwcms['SMTP_PASS']         = 'pass';
Some Webhosts/ISPs have recently started using anti-spam technology that makes your mail program send outgoing mail through what's called port 587 instead of port 25. Check with your host:
The major upcoming change to email is the use of TCP port 587 "submission" for email, as defined in section 3.1 of RFC 2476 - Message Submission. This is planned to replace the traditional use of TCP port 25, SMTP.

3.1. Submission Identification

Port 587 is reserved for email message submission as specified in this document. Messages received on this port are defined to be submissions. The protocol used is ESMTP [SMTP-MTA, ESMTP], with additional restrictions as specified here.

While most email clients and servers can be configured to use port 587 instead of 25, there are cases where this is not possible or convenient. A site MAY choose to use port 25 for message submission, by designating some hosts to be MSAs and others to be MTAs.
This initiative is being promoted by, amongst others, the Anti-Spam Technical Alliance. See Anti-Spam Technical Alliance Technology and Policy Proposal, Version 1.0, 22 June 2004 (PDF)

We further recommend that SMTP authentication be implemented on the standard Mail Submission Port, port 587, and that ISPs encourage their customers to switch their mail client software (for example, MS Outlook, Eudora, and so on) to this port. Using this port will provide seamless connectivity that does not depend on if a network allows port 25 traffic.
nkosztad73

Post by nkosztad73 »

// smtp values 
$phpwcms['SMTP_FROM_EMAIL']   = 'norbert.kosztadinovszki@gmail.com'; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_FROM_NAME']    = 'Norbert Kosztadinovszki'; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_HOST']         = 'smtp.gmail.com'; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_PORT']         = 587; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_AUTH']         = 1; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_USER']         = 'norbert.kosztadinovszki@gmail.com'; 
$phpwcms['SMTP_PASS']         = 'mypass';
I'm afraid the problem isn't like that because my ini contains that above but the gmail SMTP server uses 587 port and SSL required!
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

Try using smtp with auth ON !
nkosztad73 wrote:

// smtp values
Should be:

// smtp values
$phpwcms['SMTP_MAILER']       = 'smtp';