Is it possible to edit the default template?

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
RoastStudios

Is it possible to edit the default template?

Post by RoastStudios »

Is it possible to edit the default template instead of creating a new template like sample.tmpl???

It's because I want to do this as easily as possible. And it's easier just to submit an article, without having to first change the template.

Christian
rookie

Post by rookie »

I've seen quite a few people who use phpwcms and just edited the default template by replacing the original images with custom ones.
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

Your post is a little unclear.

Do you mean that you want to create a new template using an existing template as a starting point?

You can't do that. You have to start from scratch for every template.

This is something that would be a great thing to have in the future--a 'Duplicate Template' button on the Template creation page.
RoastStudios

Post by RoastStudios »

What I mean is...

When you try to post a new article you can choose a template to post this uder. It can either be a Article Listing template or a display full article template. When you have just installed the programme you can choose btween default and sample.tmpl. If I wish to use the sample.tmpl I have to change the template from default to sample.tmpl EVERYTIME i post a new article. And I don't want to do this... I want to edit the default template so it fits me! This has NOTHING to do with the templates inside the ADMIN section and has EVERYTHING to do with the templates that you can choose from when creating new ARTICLES!

Christian

stevenlyons wrote:Your post is a little unclear.

Do you mean that you want to create a new template using an existing template as a starting point?

You can't do that. You have to start from scratch for every template.

This is something that would be a great thing to have in the future--a 'Duplicate Template' button on the Template creation page.
argos

Post by argos »

RoastStudios wrote:What I mean is...

When you try to post a new article you can choose a template to post this uder. It can either be a Article Listing template or a display full article template. When you have just installed the programme you can choose btween default and sample.tmpl. If I wish to use the sample.tmpl I have to change the template from default to sample.tmpl EVERYTIME i post a new article. And I don't want to do this... I want to edit the default template so it fits me! This has NOTHING to do with the templates inside the ADMIN section and has EVERYTHING to do with the templates that you can choose from when creating new ARTICLES!
This is also what I would like. There are several posts on this matter on the forum, but I haven't found any good answer yet... Where is the default template??? And can we modify it?
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
http://www.argosmedia.nl
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

yes you can create as many new templates as you wish. they are just html snippets, but make sure you add a suffix of .tmpl to the file (instead of .html).

you can find them in:
phpwcms_template>inc_contpart>articlesummary>article
argos

Post by argos »

stevenlyons wrote:yes you can create as many new templates as you wish. they are just html snippets, but make sure you add a suffix of .tmpl to the file (instead of .html).

you can find them in:
phpwcms_template>inc_contpart>articlesummary>article
Yeah I know, thanks. But where is the actual html code for default articles? So the one for the article-template "default".

Or... What should I put in a custom template to have the default article template, but then with a {GT} replacement tag added to the {TITLE}? And that that custom template is automatically the new default, so that I won't have to change that manually with each new article?
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

I think you will have to dig through the php pages to find the default template code. this is not something that is documented anywhere that i know of.

is it really that big of a problem to make one menu selection when you start an article?
argos

Post by argos »

stevenlyons wrote:I think you will have to dig through the php pages to find the default template code. this is not something that is documented anywhere that i know of.

is it really that big of a problem to make one menu selection when you start an article?
I have been digging the whole day already :-)

No, the problem is not so much that I have to make a menu selection, but it would be nice to have a custom template as the default one.

The main problem is that I don't know what to put in a custom template. When I use sample.tmpl teh articles really look different from normal, so I have to change it. But I don't know how. What html code and/or replacement tags should I put there? That's why I wnated to have a look at the default code, you see? To use that as a starting point.
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
argos

Post by argos »

Oliver has posted the solution to automatically applying {GT} to a title. Look here: http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23450#23450
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

by altering the default template as you indicate would require you to amend the code with each new build of the code.
however a post on the wish list to enable us to set the default template in conf.inc.php ot any .html or tmpl would be nice.

my personal thought is that you may be making your life hard by altering the code yourself.

have fun dude.

ps: you may leave the .tmpl suffix as .html as this is also regognised by WCMS for this purpose (and it makes using dreamweaver easier too :) )